Saturday, August 7, 2010

For Erica

First of all, Happy Birthday to Erica Press, one of the most hilarious, artistic, and Un!qu3 (that says "unique") people I know.

We talked about this last night (or rather, this morning when we celebrated her birthday with Red Velvet cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery).  This was my college essay, and I realize now that I've never shared it.  I realize now that: 1) It's terribly short, and; 2) I haven't looked at it in more than a year.

Here it goes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


            I see her almost every morning.  The complete stranger, a petite Hispanic woman no older than thirty-five, is probably a single mother.  Without fail, she accompanies her child to school every day.  Her young daughter often yanks on her left hand as they share frivolous banter.   Her casual work attire and matching high heeled shoes provide a high contrast to her daughter’s denim outfit and bright pink sneakers.  She always kisses her daughter on the cheek as they approach the school gate, and she watches her child run ebulliently into the building.  This is just the beginning of a long day for a hard-working Bronxite.  She is merely one of the many forgotten heroes of the Bronx.  She embodies the attitude and values that I yearn to possess.  She inspires me.
            I live in the Kingsbridge Heights section of the Bronx in New York City.  It has been my home since my family immigrated to the United States from the Philippines when I was one year old.  It has been a truly unique experience to grow up in a place that many consider an inner city ghetto.  Nestled between the housing projects, the graffiti, the makeshift fire hydrant sprinklers, and the bodegas, I found solace.  I seemed out of place, yet I knew it was where I belonged.  As physically and intellectually different as I am from typical Bronxites, I identify most with these people.
            Bronx residents understand that there is so much more in this world past the borders of their neighborhood.  The Bronx is a place to dream of what is to come while being able to look out the window to see the harsh reality one must overcome to get there.  My neighborhood has always been full of hard working and dedicated people who never give up because they know that there is always more to be seen, learned, experienced, and seized.  They have an undying curiosity for the future.  Interacting with these people has led me to adopt the virtues that they uphold.  I share with them an insurmountable perseverance.  Like the mother whose undying love for her daughter inspires her to work hard to support her child, I am motivated to better myself for the benefit of those around me.  It is enlightening to know that I embody the spirit that continues to shine brightly in the hearts of those in my neighborhood.
            The dedicated single mother is just one of the inspirational Bronxites whose influence may be overlooked.  Her daily routine is not the most glamorous way of life, but it is one that is very respectable.  She is inspirational because of what she represents: the remarkable men and women of the neighborhood that has shaped me into the person I am today.  I see myself in her because I know that I am inspired to become successful on my own terms.  This woman lives a modest lifestyle, but her aura is far from demure.  It continues to shine brightly enough to inspire even the most random of strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search