Thursday, January 6, 2011

Starbucks Rant


So I finally got a seat in my neighborhood Starbucks.  What sucks, unfortunately, is that there are no outlets even remotely near where I am sitting, so my time here is limited to the amount of time my battery decides to stay on (which is apparently 2 hours and 23 minutes).

I’m right near a window where I see everyone walking down this street at a frenzied pace.  It’s right after 5PM, so I could only assume that a bunch of these people are coming from work or school or whatever they were doing today and just want to get home as quickly as humanly possible.  I can sympathize.

I have my pink earbuds plugged in and hanging from my ears, but nothing is playing out of them.  I love sneakily listening to the goings-on around me.  Currently, there are two men speaking in a language that I cannot recognize at the milk and sugar station directly behind me.  There is also a lady who has just spilled some milk while pouring it into her drink, and in a peculiar accent exclaims, “AYY SPEEEL EVREESEEENG.”

The same lady goes and sits at the table in front of me.  Upon putting her drinks down, she goes outside and smokes a cigarette.

I didn’t buy anything, and no I feel hideously awkward sitting here, taking advantage of their free wi-fi (clearly with facebook open), listening to the violin concerto (or what sounds like a violin concerto) playing overhead, and taking some prime real estate in the seating area.  But taking into account the amount of money and the percent of my soul which Starbucks now has in its possession, I think I’m entitled to this seat.

I just realized that several of the signs in this Starbucks are also written in Spanish.  I love being in the Bronx.  It also helps me brush up on my language skills.  “Nuestro café mas suave y popular,” it says, “inspirado por la tienda donde todo comenzó.”  It’s referring to the Pike’s Place blend.  I’ve never been very fond of it.

On the topic of languages, there are two other women in here who are speaking Tagalog very loudly.  Oh, and even the baristas are ghetto here.  I never thought I would have heard a bird ever say, "Where's my soy pitcher?"

Anyway, I really am at a loss right now.  I don’t know what to write.  So I’ll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search